Getting a Job Is Easier for International Students

08 September 2020
Getting a Job Is Easier for International Students

International students in Russia are no longer required to obtain a permit in order to get a job. They only have to show their student status certificate to the employer.

New federal law N 16-FZ which came into force in August 2020, made employment rules for foreign nationals studying at Russian universities much easier. Instead of a work permit they have to present a certificate of their status as student on a state-accredited programme. They can get this certificate at the teaching department or international affairs office of their university or vocational school. It is important to note that only full-time students can enjoy the streamlined employment procedure.

Previously, job seekers had to show their employer a permit issued by the Russian Interior Ministry’s Migration Department. Getting the document was not easy and took a long time. Also, it permitted a student to work in the designated profession in the host region only. No permit was required if a student was employed by the university.

Junior students henceforth will find it much easier to get an official job, while senior students will be able to start working in their area of study during their free time. You can choose any line of business or city as neither you nor your employer face fines. It is important to remember that the contract expires when the foreign national completes their studies. Also, every student has to make sure that their work does not interfere with the studies.

The new law will help international students in Russia to become more independent from their families, improve their professional skills and gain work experience.

*Federal law N 16-FZ of 6 February 2020 on amending the federal law “On the Legal Status of Foreign Citizens in the Russian Federation” with regard to the streamlined employment procedure in the Russian Federation for foreign nationals or stateless persons studying at Russian vocational schools or higher education centres.