The Institute has its history from 1961 when Automatics and Computer Engineering faculty was opened at Tomsk Polytechnic University. The faculty later was reorganized in the Institute of Cybernetics (IC).
Nowadays the Institute introduces innovations into educational process intensively. IC is one of the first institutes that used a multi-level system of specialists training (bachelor – engineer – master). Foreign students were accepted for Computer Science training in English from 2001. The program was accredited by the international organization for educational programs (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, ABET).
15 author’s courses of e-learning were developed by the Institute (in particular, Introduction to business professional communication, General English blended course and etc.) which are in active use for mobile learning organization. An experimental group of elite technical education students was formed from 2015. It is based on MOOCs courses which are open to everybody in the Internet.
Outstanding teachers and graduates:
1. Polushkin Vladimir Nikolaevich, Doctor of Engineering Science, the University of Oxford professor (Great Britain).
2. Uchaikin Sergey Vasilyevich, Candidate of Science, associate professor, Head of cryogenic laboratory in Max Planck Institute (Germany).
3. Hartov Viktor Vasilyevich, Doctor of Engineering Science, recipient of the Prize of the Russian Federation Government, honoured designer of the Russian Federation, chief designer of automatic complexes of Lavochkin scientific production association.
4. Baida Nikolay Prokopyevich, Doctor of Engineering Science, professor, Department Chairman of Vinnytsia Polytechnic Institute.
5. Lavrov Aleksei Mikhailovich, Doctor of Economics, professor, deputy head of Kemerovo region administration.
The Institute has the following Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree Programs:
• Applied mathematics and computer science;
• Computer science and engineering;
• Information systems and technologies;
• Software engineering;
• Machine engineering;
• Technological process and production automation;
• Mechatronics and robotics;
Unique developments of the Institute:
1. Telecommunication systems of monitoring and connection with hard-to-reach and mobile objects.
2. Corporate system of knowledge management using semantic technologies.
3. Geographic information system for production management of oil-and-gas production enterprises.
4. Oil and gas fields 3-D modeling.
5. Self-tuning controller for automatic control systems.
6. Device for control objects identification.
7. System for high current impulse measuring .
8. Equipment and technologies of surface modification by ionic implantation technique.
9. Facility for diamond burnishing hardening contoured surfaces of details with variable radius of curvature.
10. Automated complex for tribotechnical tests of structural materials and oiling environments.
11. Heterogeneous data warehouses development for high-loaded computer systems.
The Institute offers the programs for foreign students:
Specialization: Computer Science
1) The program is realized in English and consists of two-year Master’s Degree Program of double degree diploma “Computer science” with Munich University of Technology, and short-term disciplines in English including professional retraining.
2) Unique programs realization with getting training certificates on the basis of:
- Scientific training unit “HUGHES-TPU”;
- Innovation Centre Microsoft TPU;
- TPU training unit & Softline.
3) Participation in projects on the basis of Scientific Research laboratory of telecommunication, tool engineering, marine geology and laboratories jointly initiated with RASA Association.
Cooperation and exchange programs with Xiamen University (China) and Hagen Distance University are realized within the framework of this program. There is an agreement with Trento University (Italy), KIT memorandum (Karlsruhe, Germany). The Institute plans a program together with Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur and joint application for academic mobility program within Erasmus+ framework approved by the European Commission Erasmus+ KA1 International Credit Mobility Proposal: Universidade Nova de Lisboa.
Specialization: Industrial Design
The program includes disciplines in English, probations for foreign students on the base of Design Centre, and also participation in innovation projects realization in the sphere of commercial art. Cooperation with Aalto University School of Arts, Design and Architecture (Finland) and Coventry University (Great Britain) is realized.
Specialization: Mechanical Engineering
The program is aimed at Bachelor’s training of foreign students and realized in English. It also includes disciplines in English and professional retraining. The program has cooperation with Siemens company. Strategic partnership agreement was signed. Joint modern innovation technologies will be developed within this agreement.