This programme is designed for ambitious students who wish to build careers as sociologists in academia and at research institutions.
Students spend the first semester in Moscow and the second semester in St. Petersburg, learning how to write scientific articles based on the analysis of empirical data and how to publish in international peer-reviewed journals. During the second year, students spend one semester doing a research internship, and the final semester working under the supervision of a researcher affiliated with a HSE research lab.
One of the key advantages of this programme is its combination of fundamental theoretical training with education in methods of sociological research at an advanced levels. In courses, students learn how to apply theoretical concepts to analyze various sociological cases and problems, fr om societal evolution and explanation models to the conceptualization of problems of ideology, power, social policy, and gender. The programme is led by professors who are researcher-lecturers, possessing expertise in theoretical perspectives and in research and practical application.
Graduates will be able to:
- Continue their academic careers in Russian or international doctoral programmes
- Work as leading analysts and highly qualified specialists in state agencies, marketing and survey firms, and media business, as well as in corporate research centers and consulting companies.
- It is important to emphasize that programme graduates will be able to participate in the preparation and implementation of complex projects wh ere the feasibility requirements are combined with the necessity of using academic conceptualizations of the problems, scientific methods of research and preparation of final analytical materials as reports and publications in specialized journals.
King’s College (UK), University of Michigan (USA), Humboldt University (Germany), Statec (Luxemburg), Freie Universitat Berlin (Germany), Charles University (Pragues), and many more.
- 2-year English-taught MA programme in comparative sociology
- Study for the first semester in Moscow, the second semester in St. Petersburg, the third semester on a research internship with international partners, and the final semester with an advisor, affiliated with a research laboratory
- Tuition-fee scholarships are available for qualified candidates
- Professional, programme-specific staffing
- Academic orientation, with additional preparation for the international research labour market
- Possibility for dual/joint degree with an international partner University
- Awards “Master of Sociology” degree created on the basis of the Laboratory of Comparative Social Research